Type: Fungal Disease
Pathogen: Magnaporthe poae
Appearance: Circular patches of thin, yellowed, or browned grass with a distinctive dark outer ring, resembling a target or bullseye pattern. These patches can vary in size and often merge, leading to widespread damage in affected lawns.
Risk Factors: Summer patch is particularly aggressive during the hot months, thriving in warm temperatures and targeting lawns with compacted soil and poor air circulation. These conditions create an ideal environment for the fungus to establish itself, causing significant stress to the grass.
Timing: This fungal disease is most active during the peak of summer, when lawns are subjected to intense heat. The combination of high temperatures and soil compaction creates the perfect storm for summer patch development.
How to Control Summer Patch
Proactive measures are key to preventing and mitigating the impact of summer patch:
- Lawn Aeration: Regularly aerate your lawn to reduce soil compaction and enhance air circulation. This promotes a healthier root system and makes it more resistant to summer patch.
- Balanced Fertilization: Maintain a balanced fertilization program to ensure your lawn receives the nutrients it needs to withstand stress and resist fungal infections.
- Proper Watering: Adopt a deep and infrequent watering schedule. This encourages deep root growth, helping the grass withstand the challenges posed by summer patch.
In the unfortunate event that summer patch takes hold, effective treatment involves:
- Fungicide Application: Apply fungicides labeled for summer patch control during periods of active infection. These fungicides target the fungus, helping to halt its progression and limit further damage.
- Drainage Improvement: Address soil compaction and improve drainage to prevent waterlogged conditions, which exacerbate the impact of summer patch.
Transform Your Lawn with Personalized Treatment Plans from Green Image Lawn Care
Our agronomists specialize in creating personalized treatment plans, addressing specific issues like summer patch with precision. Beyond immediate control, our eco-friendly practices contribute to the overall well-being of your lawn and the environment. Contact us today for a customized lawn care plan, and let the transformative power of agronomic expertise revive your lawn’s vitality.
Need Help with Summer Patch?
Call Green Image Lawn Care today at 717-900-8144 and let's talk about how we can help you with Summer Patch and other lawn diseases.