Type: Fungal Disease
Pathogen: Rhizoctonia solani
Appearance: Characterized by circular patches of brown, dead grass with a distinguishable darker ring at the outer edge. The affected areas often form irregular shapes, resembling smoke rings.
Risk Factors: Brown patch thrives in conditions of high humidity, especially when combined with warm temperatures. Lawns with excessive thatch, compacted soil, and poor air circulation are particularly susceptible.
Timing: This fungal disease tends to emerge during hot and humid weather, with its activity peaking in the summer months.
How to Control Brown Patch
Brown patch prevention begins with proactive lawn care practices:
- Regular Lawn Maintenance: Consistently maintain your grass at the recommended height through regular mowing, promoting a healthy and resilient lawn.
- Aeration for Thatch Reduction: Conduct regular lawn aeration to reduce thatch buildup, improving air circulation and creating an environment less conducive to brown patch development.
- Fungicide Application: Applying preventive fungicides during high-risk periods, especially in the summer, can significantly reduce the likelihood of brown patch infestations.
If brown patch has already taken hold, effective treatment involves:
- Fungicide Application: Utilize fungicides specifically designed for brown patch control. These should be applied to affected areas according to recommended guidelines.
- Adjust Irrigation Practices: Proper watering is crucial. Ensure that your lawn receives adequate but not excessive moisture to prevent overhydration and create an environment conducive to brown patch.
Transform Your Lawn with Personalized Treatment Plans from Green Image Lawn Care.
Our agronomists specialize in creating personalized treatment plans, addressing specific issues like brown patch with precision. Beyond immediate control, our eco-friendly practices contribute to the overall well-being of your lawn and the environment. Contact us today for a customized lawn care plan, and let the transformative power of agronomic expertise revive your lawn’s vitality.
Need Help with Brown Patch?
Call Green Image Lawn Care today at 717-900-8144 and let's talk about how we can help you with Brown Patch and other lawn diseases.