Type: Fungal Disease
Pathogen: Sclerotinia homoeocarpa
Appearance: Small, circular patches, often silver-dollar-sized, with bleached grass in the center and darker borders.
Risk Factors: Warm and humid conditions, compacted soil, and nitrogen deficiency contribute to dollar spot development.
Timing: Most active during periods of high humidity and temperatures between 59°F to 86°F.
How to Control Dollar Spots
Take steps to stop dollar spots before they have the chance to thrive.
- Water Well: Your grass needs adequate water to thrive. It prefers long soakings about two to three times weekly instead of daily watering, depending on the rain levels from the week.
- Reseed patchy spots: Grass roots go deep into the ground and take up a lot of space, taking away the valuable real estate weeds need to thrive.
- Aerate Your Soil: Soil compaction keeps air and water from reaching the deeper levels of soil where grass roots grow, so only plants that grow nearer to the surface, like weeds, can thrive.
- Check Your Lawn’s pH Level: If your soil’s pH level isn’t neutral (about 7.0), your grass doesn’t have the right environment to thrive, but weeds might. To balance the pH level, your soil may also need applications of lime.
- Fungicide Application: Apply fungicides designed for dollar spot control during peak disease periods.
- Improve Drainage: Address soil compaction and improve drainage to prevent prolonged periods of leaf wetness.
Transform Your Lawn with Personalized Treatment Plans from Green Image Lawn Care.
Dollar spots may challenge your lawn’s aesthetics, but Green Image Lawn Care is here to ensure it’s a challenge well met. Our agronomists specialize in creating personalized treatment plans, addressing specific issues like dollar spots with precision. Beyond immediate control, our eco-friendly practices contribute to the overall well-being of your lawn and the environment. Contact us today for a customized lawn care plan and witness the transformative power of agronomic expertise.
Need Help with Dollar Spots?
Call Green Image Lawn Care today at 717-900-8144 and let's talk about how we can help you with Dollar Spots and other lawn diseases.