Get all of the information you need about pythium blight so you can identify any issues quickly and take measures to keep your yard healthy.
Type: Fungal Disease
Pathogen: Pythium spp.
Appearance: Initially, small, circular, water-soaked spots that rapidly enlarge, forming irregularly shaped patches. Infected grass blades may have a slimy appearance.
Risk Factors: Excessive moisture, high humidity, compacted soil, and warm temperatures.
Timing: Active during warm, humid conditions, often in summer.
How to Control Pythium Blight
Maintaining a healthy lawn is the best way to prevent this disease from appearing in the first place. Take these steps to care for your lawn and help it be ready to fight off fungi:
- Proper Watering: Avoid overwatering, especially during periods of high humidity, to minimize favorable conditions for Pythium development. Best practice dictates you should water your lawn in the early morning to allow grass blades to dry during the day.
- Aerate Your Lawn: Reduce soil compaction through regular lawn aeration to improve drainage.
- Mow at the Right Height: Adjust your mower to the recommended height for your grass type. Taller grass helps shade the soil, reducing moisture evaporation.
- Improve Soil Structure: Regularly adding organic matter to your soil enhances its structure, promoting better health through drainage and aeration.
If this disease is present on your lawn, consider these steps:
- Fungicide Application: Apply fungicides labeled for Pythium blight control during active infection periods.
- Improve Drainage: Address soil compaction and enhance drainage to prevent waterlogged conditions.
Transform Your Lawn with Personalized Treatment Plans for Pythium blight
Our agronomists specialize in creating personalized treatment plans, addressing specific issues like pythium blight with precision. Beyond immediate control, our eco-friendly practices contribute to the overall well-being of your lawn and the environment. Contact us today for a customized lawn care plan, and let the transformative power of agronomic expertise revive your lawn’s vitality.
Need Help with Pythium Blight?
Call Green Image Lawn Care today at 717-900-8144 and let's talk about how we can help you with Pythium Blight and other lawn diseases.