If you want your yard to have a smooth, carpet-like appearance, nutsedge control needs to be an important part of your lawn care program.
Nutsedge Prevention and Treatment
Nutsedge is a warm-season perennial grass-like weed known scientifically as Cyperus esculentus. It’s recognizable by its triangular stems, glossy green leaves arranged in sets of three and unique yellow or purple-brown flower spikes. Often towering above nearby turfgrass, it stands out and disrupts your lawn’s appearance.
How to Prevent Nutsedge
The best way to handle this weed is to prevent it from appearing on your lawn in the first place. There are a few ways to approach prevention:
- Proper Lawn Maintenance: Keeping your lawn well-maintained with regular mowing not only enhances its visual appeal but also discourages nutsedge growth. Minimizing the length of the grass blades creates an environment that is less conducive to nutsedge growth.
- Adequate Water Drainage: Nutsedge thrives in moist conditions, making proper soil drainage essential for prevention. Address drainage issues like compaction and frequently check for areas that stay excessively damp.
- Herbicide Application: Herbicides specifically formulated to combat nutsedge can be applied to prevent the weed from appearing. When it comes to the chemicals you use on your lawn, it’s advisable to work with a professional like Green Image Lawn Care instead of DIYing the project.
How to Treat Nutsedge
Nutsedge is a perennial weed that will return year after year without effective treatment. The two most common methods for treatment include:
- Manual Removal: Hand weeding can effectively tackle nutsedge—if you only see a few on your lawn. It’s essential to be thorough, as any remnants left in the soil can lead to regrowth, so be sure to remove the entire root system as you gently uproot the plant.
- Herbicide Application: Utilizing herbicides designed for nutsedge control provides an effective, targeted solution. Working with a professional is the best approach for herbicidal treatments, as they know the ins and outs of dealing with chemicals and often guarantee their services, meaning they will come back if your nutsedge does.
Add Nutsedge Control to Your Green Image Lawn Care Lawn Care Program
Nutsedge control is a key aspect of keeping your lawn beautiful. The experts at Green Image Lawn Care understand the nuances of this invader and employ human- and environmentally-friendly methods for effective prevention and treatment. Contact us today at 717-900-8144 to learn about adding nutsedge control to your lawn care program.
Our Quality Assurance Guarantee
If some of those pesky weeds didn’t respond after 14 days of an application, we will complete a service call.